Re: Red Hat & Fedora -- largely stepping out of this ecosystem

On Fri, 2023-06-30 at 15:05 +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:

> First I think this a storm in a teacup .

I tend to agree. In the worst-case scenario, people like me who try to
use open-source solely and don't pay for open-source will find a
distribution that fits them best. And from Red Hat's perspective, we
don't bring much value anyway.

> Second Centos Stream is the RHEL without branding, people in general
> didn't like the idea of Centos be updated before RHEL , when Centos
> was
> updated after RHEL , but that was the main change.
> After whats happened was that not all was updated first in Centos
> Stream like kernel (we saw updates with ABI breakage first on RHEL
> ). This announce is mainly , as I read, saying that exceptions will
> be
> over and all will be first on Centos Stream and than in RHEL

I think we all have a problem understanding what this announcement
means. I do believe CentOS Stream is awesome software. It has to be
since it's close to what RHEL is. My problem with CentOS Stream is that
it's not a distribution of my choice, and I feel forced to use CentOS
Stream. While at the same time, distributions of my choice Fedora,
Scientific Linux, CentOS Linux, Rocky Linux, and AlmaLinux, are
consequently taken down, to a moment that I'm not sure whenever RHEL is
still an open-source software.

Most likely, I'm too paranoid, but I'm
afraid that if Red Hat successfully kills RHEL downstream projects, bad
things will start to happen to CentOS Stream as well.

Cheers,

Piotr