Re: F39 Change Proposal: Build Fedora Workstation live ISO with Image Builder (System-Wide)

On Wed, 2023-06-28 at 12:58 +0200, Ondřej Budai wrote:
> Hi Adam and Ben!
>
> On Mon, Jun 26, 2023 at 10:14 PM Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

> > In terms of testing: we already test the existing toolchain pretty
> > effectively in practice. openQA builds Workstation and KDE live images
> > with every relevant critical path update. If an update breaks live
> > image creation, we find out about it right away, and the update is
> > gated.
> >

> Can you elaborate the testing setup more? Does openQA somehow call
> livemedia-creator locally, or does it just offload the task to koji? If the
> latter is true, that this shouldn't be an issue. The former option is more
> tricky, we would have to somehow adjust openQA to use a different tool.

It mimics what Koji does:

https://pagure.io/fedora-qa/os-autoinst-distri-fedora/blob/main/f/tests/_live_build.pm

If this Change goes through, I will change the openQA test
appropriately.

> > In terms of file formats: is toml really that much better known or
> > better than kickstart, for an audience of Fedora devs, for the purpose
> > of building a live image? Especially now we (finally) got the livesys
> > stuff out of the kickstarts and they're mostly pretty simple? As a
> > specific nitpick, the documentation on the Image Builder format makes
> > it clear that it supports comps groups, but it's less clear if it
> > supports comps *environment* groups. It really needs to do so to
> > maintain parity with livemedia-creator; we don't want to have to define
> > all the environment groups twice (once in comps, once in imagebuilder
> > TOML files). If it does support this, it should be made clear in the
> > docs.
> >

> Yes, it does support environment groups.
>
> Regarding kickstarts vs. blueprint (TOML): From my point of view,
> kickstarts are a specific thing to the "Fedora ecosystem", whereas TOML is
> widely used also in other areas (Go/Rust), thus there is a bigger ecosystem
> of tooling for it. I would also like to introduce JSONSchema (conversion
> between JSON and TOML is mostly lossless) for blueprints, which would allow
> e.g. linting of blueprints. Yet another step in making the tooling more
> user-friendly. Anyway, I don't want to spend much time on this, it feels
> like this is more a matter of taste.

I agree it's a matter of taste, but that was kinda my point: switching
from ks to toml is advertised as a "benefit" of the Change, but to me
it feels like a very small one if it is one at all. (we do have a
checker for kickstart files, ksvalidator, btw). It's part of the
overall point that this Change doesn't really seem to constitute a huge
improvement, therefore it should be set a high bar for not introducing
any *disadvantages* compared to the previous approach.
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA