Re: F39 Change Proposal: Anaconda WebUI for Fedora Workstation by default (System-Wide)

Hi Adam,

Dne 26. 06. 23 v 22:25 Adam Williamson napsal(a):
On Mon, 2023-06-26 at 17:00 +0100, Aoife Moloney wrote:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/AnacondaWebUIforFedoraWorkstation

This document represents a proposed Change. As part of the Changes
process, proposals are publicly announced in order to receive
community feedback. This proposal will only be implemented if approved
by the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee.

== Summary ==
The new PatternFly-based UI has been developed by the Anaconda team
for some time now and we would like to make it available for users of
Fedora to enhance and modernize installation experience. As the first
step in this user adoption process, we are targeting Fedora
Workstation only.
I am in favor of giving the web UI a shot, but I do think this is a
pretty aggressive timeline given the amount of fairly large issues that
remain to be resolved, especially exactly how the 'choose-your-own-
partitioning' workflow is going to run (considering the stuff we
discussed about constraints around partition size and boot partition
requirements and disk label type requirements and so on). I think we
need to be really ready, in advance, to pull the contingency lever for
this one if it seems necessary. It should be fairly safe to do, since
we'll still be testing the existing UI on other images, including the
KDE live.
First, thanks you and your team for all the help.

I won't lie, we are on tight deadline, however, we decided that we
would like to try to get the web UI in, so we have more feedback
from the real users, thus we know what to focus on. Also, the benefit is
that the fallback is pretty simple (just use the current GTK UI), so if
we found any blocker, we can easily just post-pone this change to next
Fedora.

Another fallback is to also to add the current UI to the image next
to the web UI. If we release the ISO and users will miss something
it won't be blocking issue to anyone.

We are trying to embrace quick releases and fast development cycle,
by getting valuable feedback on real usage from our community,
while ensuring that we provide a safe fallback solutions at any point.

Best Regards,
Jirka

Naming nitpicks: I'm pretty sure the existing non-custom partitioning
flow is formally called "guided partitioning", so calling a new
slightly-more-customizable-one "guided partitioning" and retroactively
renaming the existing one "automatic partitioning" might be a bit
confusing, at least to old-timers. Also, I still think of the existing
UI as 'newUI', so I'm gonna keep calling this one 'webUI'. :D