Re: What is Fedora?

On Wed, 2023-06-21 at 16:23 -0400, JT wrote:
> Red Hat doesn't need to mention it.  It's a legal requirement of the GPL... anyone using the
> binaries has legal right to the source code.
>
> As for Red Hat cancelling users accounts who pull the source build binaries and share it...
> that'd probably land them in a lawsuit, because as long as that person who originally downloaded
> the code has the binaries... they are legally entitled to the source for them for as long as they
> have the binaries.
>
> Furthermore, anyone who shares a binary they build from RH sources... has a legal requirement to
> share the source onto the next person.
>
> These are precisely the type of issues with the MIT/BSD license that Stallman wanted to address
> with the GPL.
>
> Red Hat could terminate the dev license... and put RHEL entirely behind a paywall, but they have
> not stated that they are doing so.  And I would imagine that they would get a ton of backlash if
> they did considering that was how they addressed the reaction the CentOS/CentOS Stream change.
> But even if they did that, they still have to provide source to anyone with the binaries.  So all
> it would take is one person buying a license, and then releasing the code.
> Even if Red Hat banned that account, there would just be another account to do the same thing
> again. Red Hat would have to play whack-a-mole to try to stop people from doing that constantly.

Whack-a-mole is not what we want to play and we are aware of MIT and GPL licenses. What the
community needs is a free source of entry. I believe the GPL asks you never have to make agreement
to access GPL code. However Red Hat have not defined what a customer and partner is, but this
requires having a Red Hat account which requires agreeing to terms etc. to access the srpms.

Regards

Phil

--
*** Playing the game for the games own sake. ***

Associations:

* Debian Maintainer (DM)
* Fedora/EPEL Maintainer.
* Contributor member of the AlmaLinux foundation.

WWW: https://kathenas.org

Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/kathenasorg

Twitter: @kathenasorg

Instagram: @kathenasorg