Re: Fedora ELN Plans for Summer 2023

Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> * Stephen Gallagher:
>
>> First, as the cleanup of unnecessary dependencies in the Fedora ELN
>> has not yet completed, we are revising our plan of performing a
>> mass-import of *all* Fedora ELN content to CentOS Stream 10 in July.
>> Instead, we plan to move to a phased approach wherein we will first
>> import, build and test only the portions of CentOS Stream 10 that we
>> currently have slated for inclusion in the delivered "runtime". As a
>> necessary side-effect of this, it means that we will NOT be
>> transitioning directly to CentOS Stream 10 as a self-hosted
>> environment.
>
> A bit related to the CentOS 10 bringup, the CentOS ISA SIG is currently
> porting CentOS 9 Stream to the x86-64-v3 ISA level.  I believe there are
> some failures that are not yet fixed in ELN/upstream, and we'll be
> sharing our workarounds with rawhide/ELN as appropriate.

Just out of curiosity, have you looked at the glibc-hwcaps effort that
has been going on the openSUSE side of the world for this? In theory it
should allow to have the optimized subpackages for the respective
architecture levels in the same repositories and it would not require a
full rebuild of the who distribution.

Cheers,

Dan