Re: LibreOffice packages

> If I understand the announcement correctly, future RHEL will not include LibreOffice
> anymore. That’s the reason, why the maintainers have withdrawn.
>

> Instead of Flatpak I would prefer to pick up the software directly from the project. LO
> provides a rpm. Maybe we have to change our packaging strategy and allow „installation
> rpms“ that pick up an OSS project’s rpm and repack it with the proper system integration.
> We had something like that for Java a decade ago.
>
> That’s probably not an optimal solution, but IMO way better than yet another re-packager.
> At least I would be willing to trust an OSS project more than some repackager.

...or, maybe, discuss with upstream a possible collaboration where the official RPMs would become those built in Fedora infrastructure instead of using an external one.

Also, as a more general speaking, with the upcoming change which will make easier to produce flatpaks directly from RPMs without the need of making modules, we can become more attractive to upstreams, as they will have a single infrastructure for publishing both RPMs and Flatpaks. A bi-directional collaboration with upstream, especially those bigger and fully open source like LO, would be beneficial (I think) for both sides. Can Mindshare (or another Fedora team) see if this is achievable?

Mattia