Re: F39 Change Proposal: Build JDKs once, repack everywhere (System-Wide Change)

Hey,

Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Keep in mind that this isn't exactly the first time we've done this
> either: the .NET runtime is similarly screwy for its bootstrap
> process, and that's split across a couple of source packages.
>
> At this point, we hold our noses and hope for the best. At least
> there's a chance to reduce the pain with .NET over time as the Red Hat
> .NET folks work to improve upstream. There's basically zero chance for
> improvement with OpenJDK because of the nature of the upstream and how
> old and crufty they are.

I know it's tangential to the main discussion, but since .NET was called
out by name, I would like to get your thoughts on this. What would you
say are the biggest concerns with the .NET setup?

Here's how I understand the current state. There's a single source
package for each major version of .NET (dotnet6.0, dotnet7.0.). That
source is compiled into the complete .NET SDK+Runtime for each version.
There are no source or binary dependencies between versions. Each
version is built/updated independently. Only the first build for each
major version requires a full bootstrap (using prebuilt binaries), but
that's a one time. Subsequent builds of each .NET major version use the
previous build of that major version of .NET.

With that context, what primary concerns do you think we should be
focusing on?

Thanks,
Omair

--
PGP Key: B157A9F0 (http://pgp.mit.edu/)
Fingerprint = 9DB5 2F0B FD3E C239 E108  E7BD DF99 7AF8 B157 A9F0