Re: Plans for dhclient / ISC dhcp?

Michael Cronenworth wrote on Wed, May 31, 2023 at 10:47:24AM -0500:
> I'm not using NetworkManager due to an issue with IPv6 and SLAAC. Clients
> under the server get an initial SLAAC IP from NetworkManager, but after the
> IP expires they never get a new IP. I've asked upstream about it and didn't
> get anywhere. Granted, this was 3 years ago now. Maybe things are better and
> I can try NetworkManager again... or systemd-networkd.

Could that be the ipv6 "privacy" features?

There are two settings I'm aware of:
* ipv6.ip6-privacy ; that generates a random address regularly which
will be used for outgoing connections by default (2); it can be changed
to generate it or not use by default or not generate it at all

* ipv6.addr-gen-mode ; that sets the "main" stable address and should
default to stable-privacy, which ought to be stable but you can set it
to eui64 to generate from mac if it doesn't work.
In particular I think stable-privacy uses the connection's uuid, which
is random if you leave it all up to defaults for ethernet (defaults to
generating an in-memry config with dhcp at every boot afaiu); that
shouldn't change on renew but perhaps there's been some other similar
fuzziness to it.

This probably has already been explained when you brought up the issue
so I'm going to assume there was another problem, but in case it helps
feel free to give it a try.
(Not that I have anything against systemd-networkd, I use both depending
on the need for dynamic settings (e.g. laptop with wireless moving
around) or not)

--
Dominique Martinet | Asmadeus