Re: F39 Change Proposal: Build JDKs once, repack everywhere (System-Wide Change)

> Can you clarify this a bit?  It sounds like some versions of the JDK in
> Fedora will actually be built in EPEL.  I feel that all Fedora packages
> should actually built for Fedora, not RHEL.
>
> Also, what exactly does "latest live EPEL" mean - how is 8 the latest?
>
> I guess basically, can you further explain/clarify exactly which
> versions of what OS which JDKs will be built on, and when those versions
> will change.

Jdk is designed, to be severely forward comaptible from os where it was built.
So jdk8, 11 and 17 would be build in oldest live fedora, and repacked everywhere. The idea is to build them on oldest viable system, as we can guarantee they will run ok in newer Fedroas..
java-latest-openjdk however, is built also for epel8 and elep9. Thus logically the oldest system where we can built it to repack it everywhere is el8. Then it can be reapcked for el8,el9, and all live fedoras.

I have fixed typo in the proposal " Should be built in oldest live EPEL" instead of " Should be built in latest live EPEL", which was wrong.

I do not have hard requirement to build java-latest-openjdk on epel8 and repack everywhere, but it gave sense. If the hard demand will be to build also java-latest-opnejdk in oldest fedora, and repack in all fedoras, and built it in oldest epel, and repack in all epels, then it gave somehow sesnse too. Although I would conisdered it a bit wasted cycle, it is acceptable.

Thanx!

 J.

--
Jiri Vanek Mgr.