Re: F39 Change Proposal: Build JDKs once, repack everywhere (System-Wide Change)

On 5/31/23 16:25, Robert Marcano via devel wrote:
On 5/31/23 9:44 AM, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
On Wed, May 31, 2023 at 03:32:09PM +0200, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
On 31/05/2023 14:53, Jiri Vanek wrote:
It is built from sources of course!
What make you think it is not?
For double ensurenes, see the fesco ticket in proposal.

IMO, repackaging prebuilt RPM packages is not building from sources.

The prebuilt RPMs are compiled on Fedora infrastructure too, so I don't
see how that violates the 'build from source' requirement.

We do similar things in other cases, see for example shim-unsigned.rpm +
shim.rpm

Will user be able to download SRPMS like

   dnf download --source java...

and get a real source RPM that can be rebuilt or the SRPM will have a prebuilt tarball and the user will need to hunt down the real SRPM, and do things like using a VM or container to built that, for later rebuild the "binray" SRPM from the Fedora repos?

Thats good question. User should be able to do that. I consider srpm rebuild and investigations of what is built as crucial.
Right now, where we build portables for each fedora and repack them for rpms, it is possible wihtout issues (feedback welcomed).

With build once and repack everywhere, the solution will be hidden in all that tagging.
Tbh, I would consider permanent block of this feature, as show stopper for tis proposal.
Will add it to the how to test section,

J.

take care,
   Gerd