Re: F39 Change Proposal: Build JDKs once, repack everywhere (System-Wide Change)

On 5/31/23 13:43, Fabio Valentini wrote:
On Wed, May 31, 2023 at 1:31 AM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So, the only way I can see to do this would be to have releng manually
tag the builds from oldest release into newer ones each time they are
built. I do not like this for a number of reasons:

* It's more manual work.
* It bypasses a bunch of our process. There wouldn't be any bodhi
update, so no CI checks, no chance for karma, no updates-testing step
(unless there's more work to retag a bunch of times).

There's also more problems:
This approach would basically opt OpenJDK out of all System-Wide
changes, like GCC updates, compiler flag changes, etc. (at least until
"Fedora oldstable" catches up to those changes 12 months later).

This is dual-edge blade
 - First of all, I would like to keep building portable tarballs aslo in rawhide, just and only because I would like to know impacts of new gcc and new flags
 -- the new gcc is actually very interesting issue. Thanx to it, we found many issues in jdk, which would otherwise left undetected for mcuh longer. Unluckily, some of them were fasle negatives, which made us super torubled.\
 -- The koji build flags are on contrary something, what is troubeling us a lot, and to be abel tobuild jdk, we have to exclude most of them.

So to skip those, have really very strong both pros and cons. Still Iw ould vote to keep building portables also in rawhide, even if the regular rpms in reawhide will keep repaking portbales from oldest live fedora.

Thanx!
 J.

Fabio

Jiri Vanek Mgr.