Re: F39 Change Proposal: Build JDKs once, repack everywhere (System-Wide Change)

On 5/31/23 08:25, Miro Hrončok wrote:
On 31. 05. 23 1:31, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
So, the only way I can see to do this would be to have releng manually
tag the builds from oldest release into newer ones each time they are
built. I do not like this for a number of reasons:

* It's more manual work.

If it should be more manual work then to run 24hours long java certification per fedora build, then it is indeed no go.
Still, if it would mean more work for other people then maintainers of openjdk, then it is Again -1. I would like to avodi any non-java-maint interventions as it is unfair to them, and slowing the repack dramatically (so uch tha tit may be faster to keeprunning all the certifications)

* It bypasses a bunch of our process. There wouldn't be any bodhi
update, so no CI checks, no chance for karma, no updates-testing step
(unless there's more work to retag a bunch of times).

I'm open to other ideas, but as it is I'm not liking this change.

If we never actually ship the "build once" builds, and only ship the "repack everywhere" ones, this could be achieved by the maintaines:

  1. request side tags for all releases
  2. build the actual Java in the side tag for the oldest thing
  3. tag the result ot (2) to all side tags from (1)
  4. waitrepo them
  5. build the repacked java packages in all the side tags from (1)
  6. untag the result of (2) from all the side tags from (1)
  7. ship bodhi updates from side tags OR retag the builds to candidate tags
     (and delete the side tags)

The build from (2) will be eventually garbage collected. To prevent that, it might be re-tagged regularly. This is where releng might be able to help by creating a long lived tag to tag this into for preserving.

Thanx a lot for writing this down. It is still a bti hard hard to grab that.

J.

--
Jiri Vanek Mgr.
Principal QA Software Engineer