Re: Election Status?

On Mon, May 29, 2023 at 3:28 AM Kevin Kofler via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> > RH's staff redundancies
>
> The position was clearly NOT redundant.

The word (and all words are made up) is used
by organizations to meet certain legal requirements
(talk to *your* lawyer for a better explanation of
all the details and subtleties of employment law
if you don't understand employment law, as it
is complex (and even more complex in multi-
national organizations such as IBM and RH as
some countries have "interesting" requirements);
my understanding is based on occasional
discussions with my employment lawyer
colleagues, and I have mostly decided that is
not a field I wish to become an expert in).

> This is just RH unilaterally killing
> jobs including a central Fedora position in order to increase IBM's profits.

Any particular position (in a large enough
company like IBM, or RH) has about zero impact
on any organization's profits.  It *may* indicate
priorities (which is a completely different
discussion, and which you might, legitimately,
ask if IBM and RH is committed, and at what
level, to Fedora in the long term(*)).

Personally, I think the Fedora Program Manager
(as embodied most recently in Ben) provided
value to the Fedora community, as some of the
work being done was something that volunteers
cannot easily pick up (simply due to available
time (resources)).

I fervently hope that the council members will
not (in the long term) try to "make do" with
fewer people (asking others to do 130%), but
will either offload to the community, or drop
(after consultation with the community) some
of the work the Program Manager or other
members of the Council did (there needs to
be a prioritized list of work and reassigments).
If no one is willing/able to step up, some functions
will need to be terminated for the good of the
work/life balance of the remaining Council
members (yes, some people live to work, and
work to live, but that is not something we
should expect of our hatters.).

(*) Someone, and I am not sure of the
process or protocol, should ask RH what
they see and want Fedora to be, and how
they intend to support (fund) that going
forward.  It is, perhaps, not a place I (or
you) wish to be, but right now all we
really know is that RH has decided to
de-commit some resources.  Perhaps
they intend to add more resources in