Re: more distinct default bash prompt?

Jens-Ulrik Petersen wrote:
> In Fedora the bash prompt is not colored or highlighted by default.
>
> I personally find this a usability issue: it makes it hard to find previous
> commands between long outputs when scrolling back in a terminal.

I find myself pressing Enter several times before running a command to
be able to find the beginning of the output afterwards, so I agree. The
prompt should stand out more.

> For example I could suggest we change the default fedora bash prompt from:
> PS1="[\u@\h \W]\\$ "
> to something like:
> PS1="\[\e[\${PROMPT_COLOR}m\][\u@\h \W]\[\e[0m\]\\$ ".
>
> Then the PROMPT_COLOR envvar would make it easy for users to change or
> customize their prompt coloring anyway.
> For example with PROMPT_COLOR="1;32" one gets a bold green prompt, which
> seems readable in both dark or light terminals.

It seems popular among terminal emulators to make bold text extra
bright. That makes the bold green prompt a bit too bright for me on a
white background. It's nowhere near as bad as yellow on white, but a
little too bright to be comfortable. Once I turn off the brightening to
let bold text be the specified color, the bold green prompt works well
for me.

One way to avoid all the color issues could be to just make the prompt
bold by default. That would probably make it stand out enough in many
situations. I think it wouldn't help much for programmers compiling
software though, because GCC outputs filenames in uncolored bold text,
so even a bold prompt would blend in among the compilation errors.

Björn Persson