Re: ppc64le builds taking ages

On Fri, 19 May 2023 at 16:55, Dan Horák <dan@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 May 2023 16:27:23 +0200
> Iñaki Ucar <iucar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Do we know why some ppc64le builds take so much? And with "so much" I
> > mean 7-10x the time for a "normal" run. Examples: 2 hours for [1] vs.
> > 20 hours for [2].
> >
> > And if we do know the cause, is there any way to predict it in order
> > to avoid the %check section?
> >
> > [1] https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=98395536
> > [2] https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=98395502
>
> seems the build got restarted, perhaps due OOM on the builder, and
> actual build time was 12h, perhaps the builder or the vmhost were
> overloaded. Do you see the long build times in recent builds too? Both
> examples are from March.

Here's one: https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=101326951
Compared to: https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=101327166

And I suspect this is the cause of the large number of random errors
we've been experiencing with R packages recently. I think that the R
check command has a timeout that is triggered when a ppc64le build
takes too much (specifically when rebuilding package vignettes).
Things seem to have gone back to normal as I noticed them and disabled
vignette rebuilds in most (all?) of them. But these random extreme
delays are annoying, especially in packages with heavy tests.

Iñaki

--
Iñaki Úcar