Bringing PyTorch to Fedora

Hello everyone,

I hope this email finds everyone well. I’m here to introduce myself but also ask for anyone who would be interested in helping me out on a fun side project that me and my colleague, Teng, have planned. I’m Kaitlyn Abdo and I’m an Associate Technical Marketing Manager at Red Hat, specifically for the AI/ML products and offerings. Teng is a Principal Technical Product Manager at Red Hat as well, but I’ll let Teng formally introduce himself :).

To give the TLDR, we want to package PyTorch for Fedora. We are looking for individuals in the community who are interested in making this happen with us. We will be hosting most of the discussion moving forward on the AI/ML discussion page (https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/tag/ai-ml-sig)  on Fedora Discussion, but we will still send out major communication through the mailing lists.

We are aware of several existing SIGs (ML SIG-https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/ML, Heterogeneous Computing Special Interest SIG-https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/HC, Big Data SIG-https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/bigdata) and would like to help reignite activity in a coordinated way. I talked to the leadership of the ML SIG about revamping and possibly merging other less active SIGs to create a broader AI/ML SIG. The ML SIG leadership agreed that this could be beneficial for communication and project purposes, so I’m open to input from both leadership and individuals in other SIGs.

Please reach out to either me at kabdo@xxxxxxxxxx or Teng at tema@xxxxxxxxxx if you are interested. We are in the very early stages of this and want to build a team of anyone who would be interested. Thank you for your time and we look forward to hearing from you!

Best,
Kaitlyn Abdo