Re: F39 proposal: Fedora Onyx (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Thu, May 4, 2023 at 3:29 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, May 01, 2023 at 03:31:00PM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Fedora_Onyx
> > == Detailed Description ==
> > Fedora Onyx is an immutable desktop operating system, featuring the
> > Budgie Desktop environment. Fedora Onyx leverages the same
> > foundational technologies as other Fedora immutable variants such as
> > Fedora Silverblue, Fedora Kinoite, and Fedora Sericea (flatpak,
> > rpm-ostree, podman, toolbx). Fedora Onyx is built for people that are
> > attracted to / find value in the Fedora computing platform and Budgie
> > Desktop environment, but need the robust immutability and atomic
> > capabilities that rpm-ostree provides, which are not be offered
> > through traditional Fedora spins (e.g. Fedora Budgie Spin).
> >
> > Original change proposal for Fedora Budgie Spin: [[Changes/FedoraBudgie]]
>
> I assume that this proposal will be accepted; the following is not
> about blocking this proposal. But I wanted to ask a wider question:
> is there some way to avoid having a separate immutable spin for each
> and every desktop? The desktop is maybe a 100MB out of the whole distro,
> and everything else is the same between the spins. For a package-based
> install, a user would could just the generic variant and then configure
> their account to use a different graphical shell. But here we need a
> place on the download page, and in the docs, and we build ISO images,
> run QA, etc., so there is a noticable cost to each new deliverable.

If Anaconda boot ISOs could be extended so that you could select
Fedora RPM-OSTree and then select a different RPM-OSTree remote to
install, then that would mimic the workflow you expect. We could then
extend that toward having an install DVD with an RPM-OSTree repository
that contains all of the different desktops.

Unfortunately, we don't have that. :(