Re: linux-firmware RPM package

On Sun, 30 Apr 2023 12:00:30 +0200
Matthias Weckbecker <matthias@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the linux-firmware package has recently added a requires in its spec for
> a bunch of other firmware packages: atheros-firmware, brcmfmac-firmware,
> mt7xxx-firmware, and realtek-firmware.
>
> Is this intentional? I don't have hardware in my computer that requires
> the atheros firmware. It makes me slightly uneasy to install those blobs
> if I don't absolutely have to.

the new subpackages are the way how to leave the unneeded firmwares out,
similar to what was done for the GPU firmware earlier. There is nothing
new installed on your system, all files have been part of the main
linux-firmware rpm until now. To keep the upgrade path working the new
subpackages are "Requires" for F <= 38, but only "Recommends" for
F >= 39, see
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/linux-firmware/c/be92a95e169422f1108bce0aee70ed96fc26fb0b?branch=rawhide
for details.

		Dan