Re: F39 proposal: Increase vm.max_map_count value (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 1:59 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 05:07:53PM -0400, JT wrote:
> > How this would affect memory performance on a workstation or server with
> > much more running concurrently, is something I can't really speak to, but I
> > would guess there's a point where increasing it could cause issues
> > depending on total memory available and how many processes are getting
> > memory reservations from the kernel.
>
> For what it's worth, our friends over at SUSE have a kbase article on the
> possible side-effects of increasing this setting. Find it at
> https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=000016692. (In short, the
> consequences are that processes which map more memory can do so, which is
> bad for memory usage overall and can hurt performance.)

Maybe we can talk to the folks in the Wine community about what we
should do to support their needs better within Fedora? If we don't want
to go to the max (ish), maybe we can find a middle ground that makes
games work on Fedora better.