Fwd: The new version of Fedora Messaging Notifications will arrive this week

On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 3:31 PM Aurelien Bompard
<abompard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> The "FMN replacement" team has finished writing the new version of our
> notification system, and we are ready to deploy!
>
> We plan on:
> - deploying the new version on https://notifications.fedoraproject.org
> this week,
> - keep the old one around but move it to https://apps.fp.o/notifications-old
> - redirect from https://apps.fp.o/notifications to the new place.
> (fp.o being an abbreviation for fedoraproject.org)
>
> You will thus still be able to access the current FMN, and it will
> keep running until F39. Due to the difference in features, we can't
> import existing rules into the new system, so we encourage you to
> create new rules that suit you as soon as the new system is up and
> running.
>
> The change of URLs will happen with the planned outage set for
> <https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/11266> for details.
>
> If you have issues with the new FMN, please open infra tickets at:
> https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/new_issue
>
> We hope you will enjoy the simpler UI and faster processing speed that
> the new FMN brings.

Thank you for working on this! However, I am a little bit confused
about what (if anything) I need to do to keep getting the same
notifications.

Looking at the "old" Notifications app, I have both IRC and Email
delivery mechanisms marked as "active", but I never get E-Mail
notifications, I only get them from  via IRC.
There's also no rules in the tab for the email delivery mechanism (but
also no button to add any???), but there *are* pretty complex / big
rules in the IRC tab (which I don't remember setting up, so they are
likely the default settings for new users?) ...

So ... what happens when the switch to the "new" Notifications app
happens? Are the same "defaults" that are configured for the IRC
delivery mechanism in the "old" Notifications app applied to all
users, or does everybody start with a "blank slate", i.e. will I need
to manually create new filters to keep getting the same notifications
I currently get?

What will happen to email notifications? They appear to be "enabled"
in the "old" Notifications app but I never get any email notifications
(I only get emails from bugzilla, bodhi, and koji, and these all use
separate systems for sending email-based notifications, if I
understand correctly). Can I safely ignore this and just not configure
any rules for email delivery in the new app to keep this behaviour?

Fabio