Re: It’s time to transform the Fedora devel list into something new

On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 at 13:03, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would also be one of those people who would be much less engaged --
even disengage -- if everything moved to a website.

I have one thing to add that I don't think was covered:

Can we make contributing to the mailing list easier?

One thing we have done in a community I manage is *not* to require any
sign up to the mailing list before posting.  They are invited to
simply email the list address.  The flip side to this is obviously
that "someone" (cough, me) has to filter out a lot of spam carefully.
It's not too bad in that small community, but might be a lot more work
in Fedora.  But it ought to reduce the barrier to entry to "able to
send an email" which is IMHO pretty low.

Fedora mailman gets a lot of emails. Generally we would see about 900 emails per day that would need to be dealt with per day for the devel list and 1600 emails per day for users. The lower end mailing lists see about 200 emails a day that come in and get dropped from non-subscribers. Processing those is not a fast issue with mailman3 because of database and schema issues. It generally takes 20 to 30 seconds to delete or accept a held email. Trying to do them in bulk halts ALL other transactions as it has to lock various tables. Some of these issues may be fixed in a newer version of mailman3, but we can't just update to any newer version because our database schema was a prerelease.

--
Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle. -- Ian MacClaren