Re: It’s time to transform the Fedora devel list into something new

On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 08:53:26PM +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> 1. Python discussions are no longer at the same place as all the
> other discussions (my Thunderbird). This is a big one for me. I
> cannot primarily use the Discourse web interface on
> discuss.python.org because I simply won't go there. I suppose that

I mentioned somewhere else around here that I use the Android "Discourse
Hub" app as a way to keep up with this — I see notifications from Python,
Home Asssitant, Flatpak, etc., even though I don't visit those sites daily.

I kind of miss this on the desktop. I wonder if a web app that does the same
thing would help you too? As more and more projects use Discourse, that
could become a sort of nexus for all of these gardens that Jonathan
Corbet mentions.

> 2. When I read the content in the web app, it does not mark the
> related emails read. I can either read everything via email (which
> frankly has a worse readability than the web app) or go read it on
> web and than manually mark my emails as read. So far, this has been
> tedious for me so far and I repeatedly give up and mark the entire
> Python Discourse folder as read when the number reaches 10k unread
> emails. Even if I read everything via email, I cannot reply there so
> I still need to visit the thing in the web app to participate.

We have reply-by-email enabled. It is also possible to enable
new topics by email, but that's vulernable to impersonation (and spam) so
if we enable that there probably will be a moderation step.

> 3. When I choose to use the mailing list approach, I can no longer
> distinguish "regular" email notifications (somebody replied to my
> comment or mentioned me) from the rest of the email traffic from the
> forum. This will apply to others as well; e.g. when I send an email
> to devel now, I can CC people I know need to see it -- on Discourse
> I can mention them, but they might not notice that if they receive
> an email of everything anyway.

Can you use the Feedback-ID header to distinguish and highlight those
personal notifications?

> So far, when Python switched from mailing list to Discourse I've noticed this:
>
> Once I participate in a certain discussion, it somewhat works, as
> long as I remember to go check it out occasionally. But OTOH I miss
> out almost everything I don't actively participate in.
>
> -----------
>
> Perhaps I am a greybeard, but I am pretty much scared of this change in Fedora.
>

> You say we miss people now. I say we will miss them then.
> Unfortunately, I don't know how to solve that. Maybe my fear is not
> justified, but it is real.

Thank you. I appreciate the real-world feedback from the Python experience.

What about, instead of mailing list mode, enabling the Activity Summary
email, and setting it to daily instead of weekly? That gives a reminder (and
hopefully something interesting) but keeps the web site as primary for
actual notifications and for keeping track of what's read and not read.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>