tangent on tag curation [was Re: It’s time to transform the Fedora devel list into something new]

On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 06:01:51PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Well, I just opened the tags box and typed 'qa', and got...#fedora-qa ,
> #qa, and #qa-team . So it looks like some maintenance might be in
> order. :D Is there any way to 'guide' people to use 'standard' tags?

Ah, see, this is a great example of a tangential subthread....

I'm still trying to figure out the best approach to one issue with tags
since we merged in Ask Fedora.

Tags span across categories, including tag watches (that is, subscriptions).
This means there's no way to subscribe to notifications for, e.g., #server
in Project Discussion and _not_ to those in Ask. Ask can be kind of firehose
of end-user queries, I want to make sure we have that option.

So, there is #server-wg (which we're probably going to rename to
#server-devel to be less obtuse) for that. These "team" tags can only be
used in the Project Discussion category (and Announcements). For qa, that's
#qa-team. Then, there are some things that are tagged #fedora-qa in Ask.

"fedora-qa" is not particularly consistent, but #qa alone is kind of
ambiguous and would get misused. As it was, #qa was set up as a synonym of
#qa-team -- that's unnecessary and I've removed it.

Overall, tags in Ask are more of a wild territory. We discussed and have
some general consensus on how they should be used:
https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/how-should-we-use-tags-in-the-ask-fedora-category/45221
and I do a kind of lackadaisical periodic curation. (Tags can be created by
anyone with a certain forum trust level, which scales with participation.
But they can only be edited and removed by admins.)

(Although actually the emails triggered by notifications _do_ include
`X-Discourse-Tags` and `X-Discourse-Category` headers, so if that's the
your primary way of interacting, you _can_ do something with them. But it
doesn't apply to on-site notifications.)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>