Re: It’s time to transform the Fedora devel list into something new

On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 05:20:37PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> We’re missing people
> > discourse?
> >
> > Once I ensure my team has the technical guidance they need
> > and I work through the tasks of work that I owe other
> > people, I take a look at the mailing list and say: "Oh my
> > gosh, what the heck happened here?" Then the discussion
> > goes further off the rails while I'm typing out a reply and
> > my reply is no longer relevant.
> >
> > — https://tootchute.com/@major/109666036733834421
>
> I know many Fedora folks, old-school and new, for whom devel list is
> just too much.

I think that applies to the vast majority of people on my team. They
are doing work that ends up in Fedora, they use Fedora, and they will
sometimes needs to make changes in Fedora packages, but they'll rarely
/ never read the mailing lists. Essentially, unless a very large amount
of your daily work is Fedora oriented, the devel list is not feasible
to follow. It is not suited to infrequent/sporadic Fedora contributors.

Myself I'll try to keep an eye out for interesting $SUBJECTs and read
those, or peek into exploding threads to see what the fuss is about,
but the rest I'll just ignore as it is too much. I'll try to relay the
important nuggets of info to others in my team, but that's a limited
mitigation.

When you say "We're missing people" there's actually another factor
that you've not mentioned....spam, or more specifically anti-spam
countermeasures.

There are a handful of very regular Fedora contributors, for whom
about 50% of messages they send get reliably classified as spam
by my employer's mail service because of something it dislikes
about their mail server/domain's reputation. While I can allow-list
their addrs for myself, each subscriber has to repeat the same
allow-listing and I expect many won't bother.

IOW, we have people who think they are contributing to Fedora
discussions, but in fact their mails are getting effectively
silently discarded. This is bad if we want inclusive discussions.

In other mailing lists where I am the admin I get to see even worse
problems where mails get unconditionally discarded at time of delivery
due to disagreements between mail servers about the correct way to
implement DMARC and DKIM. As a result certain senders are entirely
prevented from collaborating via the mailing list in the worst possible
way. They successfull send the mail, it is accepted by the list server,
added to the online archives, but when the list server delivers to
subscribers the message bounces back. Unless the mailing list admin
watches non-delivery bounces no one will know this is happening.
Certain senders will simply not be part of the discussions.

Having battled email/spam problems wrt mailing lists for years now,
I can only conclude that email is not viable as a reliable & inclusive
communications tool in the modern world.

> We’re scattered in actual practice
> announcements: the work happens in tickets. Workstation largely uses
> their Pagure tracker. And CoreOS conversations happen almost entirely
> in tickets on Github.
>
> Tickets are made for tracking specific, actionable tasks, and that kind
> of tracking is part of why teams use them over mailing lists — but
> Fedora teams use them for open development conversations too. I think
> that’s largely a symptom of mailing lists not being enough for what we
> need. The trackers have media support, editing for typos or updates,
> reactions for simple agreement, tagging people, and granular
> subscriptions. They are effectively “off-label use” mini-forums that
> teams can quietly move to using without the sort of conversation I
> expect this message to generate.

> Airplane diagram, survivorship bias
> -----------------------------------
>
> The set of remaining regular participants on this list is naturally
> biased towards those for whom it is working just fine. But, core Fedora
> development discussion can’t be limited to that ever-shrinking group.
> Consider who isn’t here. The problems are real, and the trend isn’t in
> a good direction.

Or stockholm syndrome. As a long term email users I'm familiar with it
and learn to put up with all its flaws and figured out ways to mitigate
the limitations of email.

If you speak to any long term email users in high traffic OSS communities
you'll find many of them have created very elaborate mail filters, scripts
and tools to create workflows for handling the high volume of their inbox.
Newer contributors won't have this, so when you ask them to turn on the
fire hose by subscribing to Fedora devel it is natural they will be
reluctant.

> Concrete proposal
>

> First, I’d like to move the Changes discussion. They will still be
> posted to devel-announce, but responses directed to Project Discussion
> in a new #changes tag. Ben tells me that this is a FESCo decision,
> which seems reasonable.

Early you mentioned that lots of teams have moved discussions into
tickets in Pagure/GitHub/etc.  I think that is an entirely natural
thing to do for task oriented discussions.

I think that Change proposals are precisely that - a task oriented
discussion, and thus would naturally fit into issue tracker model.
You then have the associated tools for tracking, tagging the changes,
linking between related tickets, and more, all in one place. The
way we use wiki categories to tag Change proposal pages, and then
have to have discussions somewhere else entirely, is effectively
reinventing a poor-mans' issue tracker. Just use a real issue tracker
here and stop splitting the process around multiple tools.

> Next steps
> ----------
>
> I know this is a big change. I’ve been thinking of writing this message
> for a long time. I’d really like to convince everyone that it’s the
> right thing — or at least, an acceptable one.

I don't disagree, and as you illustrate we would not be going into
uncharted territory here. Many big OSS projects have gone the same
way for similar reasons. Fedora is about innovation, being on the cutting
edge, etc, and I think that includes being willing to adapt to changes
in the way we work as a community too, not be left behind using obsolete
processes and tools that are increasingly abandoned by the rest of the
OSS community.

This doesn't mean we're saying all aspects of email are bad. There are
many things to like about email, and reducing/eliminating its use will
certainly make some things worse. Your proposal is effectivey saying
that when considered in aggregate, switching to newer tools like
discourse and/or issue trackers (as appropriate for the particular
scenario) will still be a net win, despite some of the downsides.

Much as people invaribly hate change, they are also very adaptable.
Having seen these kind of transitions before, my experiance is that
the downsides never turn out to be as bad as imagined because once
people get past the grief & anger about the change, they ultimately
figure out alternative ways to work effectively in many cases.

With regards,
Daniel