Re: default bash history (non)preservation

Chris Murphy wrote:
> I've implemented the suggested two line change to
> .bash_profile:
>
> # User specific environment and startup programs
> shopt -s histappend
> PROMPT_COMMAND="history -a;$PROMPT_COMMAND"

[...]
> Any thoughts?

As others have said, enabling this by default has
consequences which would make a good number of folks
unhappy, so it's probably not an ideal candidate to enable
by default.

One thing worth noting, I think, is that since bash-5.1,
PROMPT_COMMAND may be an array.  This lends itself to adding
something in /etc/profile.d which appends 'history -a' to
the PROMPT_COMMAND array, e.g.:

    PROMPT_COMMAND+=( history -a )

(which would grow half a dozen or so lines with the needed
checking that 'history -a' wasn't already present, that
PROMPT_COMMAND was an array instead of a string, etc.)

I don't believe that Fedora's defaults from the setup
package currently use an array, so perhaps working toward
that change would be a good first step.  Once in place, a
package which provides the history appending behavior could
be easily added and those who prefer it could install it.

--
Todd