Re: redhat-lsb-core

On Tue, Apr 04, 2023 at 10:19:56AM -0400, Steven A. Falco wrote:
On 4/4/23 09:56 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Tue, Apr 4, 2023 at 9:49 AM Steven A. Falco <stevenfalco@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 4/4/23 05:58 AM, sergio@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Please open a bug report , I'm reviewing redhat-lsb [1] , this package is so old that still called redhat ...
Anyone suggest another name ?
I'm happy to write a bug.  Do you prefer something along the lines of "Split lsb_release into a subpackage" or perhaps "Split redhat-lsb-core into finer-grained subpackages"?

For me, having an lsb_release subpackage would be best, because that is all I need for KiCad.  But I'll also pursue Neal's comment about changing wxWidgets to get the info another way.

The distro command from python3-distro may also help if you *must* use
a command-line tool.

But reading the file directly would be better.

I've created a bug [2] requesting that wxGTK use a file from os-release rather than lsb_release.

Worst case scenario, I could bring over a port of SUSE's lsb_release
package that uses os-release for its data into Fedora[1].

That is a very interesting approach that could potentially help other customers of the information.

Given where the Linux ecosystem is today, I think lsb_release should be deprecated and no tool should depend on it anymore.

The idea behind LSB is that all systems would have it and tools can count on it, but in practice that's not true. os-release is now well defined and much more relevant given it's present without installing additional tools. So effectively os-release is fulfilling the LSB promise, but on a much smaller scope.

Investing in lsb_release feels like a wasted effort.