Re: Node.js repackaging status and questions

On Sat, Apr 1, 2023 at 7:33 AM Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 1, 2023 at 12:04 PM Iñaki Ucar <iucar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > - This repackaging has been pushed to F37 too. Why, if this was a F38 change?
>
> I agree, this is unusual.

Hi, Node.js maintainer here.

The changes I was making to F38 ended up being significantly different
from the older packaging to the degree that attempting to maintain
both was going to be more than I could handle. I opted to backport the
change to F37 rather than overwork myself or leave F37 unmaintained).

> > - Now we have conflicts in F37 and F38 [5], with FTBFS for those
> > requiring unversioned nodejs.
>
> That sounds like a packaging bug.

It's definitely a packaging bug. I've been working on fixing it and I
*think* the versions I just sent to updates-testing today
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2023-2edcc2b186 and
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2023-973319d5b7 will
resolve it.

> The default nodejs version should always provide the "unversioned"
> nodejs, and other versions must not provide the unversioned names.
> (This is how Python packages work in Fedora for a while, but it looks
> like the process is still very buggy for nodejs.)

Yeah, I meant to do this the same way that Python does and I missed a
few places; those should be resolved by the latest round of updates...
I hope.

> (Side note: It was explicitly decided against using alternatives for
> this purpose, because the way it's done for Python - and now NodeJS -
> should be less error-prone and buggy. Java is one of the few things in
> Fedora that still uses alternatives for this use case.)

"Should" is my least-favorite word in the English language.