Re: F39 proposal: Changes of defaults in createrepo_c-1.0.0 (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 11:57:04AM -0000, Aleš Matěj wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 24, 2023 at 05:25:17PM +0000, Mattia Verga via devel wrote:
> > I have a few additional questions:
> >
> > * How does this impact zchunk? or does it?
>
> I also think there shouldn't be any impact on zchunk.

ok. Great to hear.

> > * Kind of unrealted to this change, but I'll ask here as createrepo_c
> > folks might know off hand: Is it possible to decouple drpms from a repo?
> > ie, if we had a updates repo and a completely seperate updates-drpms
> > repo with just drpms in it, what would it take to use that? Changes in
> > dnf I guess? but also changes in createrepo_c to generate repodata for a
> > repo that was only drpms?
>
> Such repos can be created by createrepo_c and modifyrepo_c but it is a bit awkward.
> Basically first create normal (coupled) repo and then extract the prestodelta.xml and drpms
> into a new repo. Additionally createrepo_c API could be used to make it more straight forward.

Well, I was thinking of a completely disconnected process. ie, the drpms
are created compltely seperately from the main repo and a
prestodelta.xml is created there in the seperate repo.

> However you are right dnf can't handle that. It looks for deltas in the same repo where it finds
> the normal update package. It would require changes in dnf and libdnf.

ok. Thanks for the info.

If we want to bring drpms back to useful, I think this would probibly be the
best way to go. Then we could have some app that creates them async and
dnf could use them if available.

kevin