Re: F39 proposal: Changes of defaults in createrepo_c-1.0.0 (System-Wide Change proposal)

Il 25/03/23 21:34, Kevin Fenzi ha scritto:
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2023 at 05:25:17PM +0000, Mattia Verga via devel wrote:
>> Il 23/03/23 19:52, Ben Cotton ha scritto:
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/createrepo_c_1.0.0
>>>
>> A quick look about this change impact on bodhi-server, as I understand
>> from the relevant module at
>> https://github.com/fedora-infra/bodhi/blob/develop/bodhi-server/bodhi/server/metadata.py
> This is the part of bodhi that inserts metadata into the repodata.
> ie, 'this is a security update' etc. ie, updateinfo.xml
> Right?

Ah, yes, it is relevant for updateinfo.xml only.

https://github.com/fedora-infra/bodhi/blob/1a2b192929fa1836ed04e7a0660c7436543c8ae0/bodhi-server/bodhi/server/metadata.py#L140-L156

>>> == Detailed Description ==
>>> - Switch default compression from gz to zstd. DNF is able to
>>> decompress zstd via libsolv since Fedora 30 and RHEL 8.4. It will
>>> still be possible to create gz compressed repodata by manually
>>> specifying gz compression.
>> As I understand, bodhi sets XZ compression on all repos but those with a
>> release prefix set to 'FEDORA-EPEL' (EPEL7, EPEL8 and EPEL9) where it
>> uses BZ2.
>> Do we want to continue using XZ or switch to the new ZSTD default?
>> Do we want to continue using BZ for EPEL9 or switch to ZSTD/XZ? (EPEL
>> Next, both 8 and 9, are already using XZ if I understand correctly)
> Do note that bodhi just calls pungi to make the updates repos, so it's
> really about pungi config here right? Of course the questions are still
> needing answers if we want to change/adjust the pungi config.
>
> This should be:
> https://pagure.io/fedora-infra/ansible/blob/main/f/roles/bodhi2/backend/templates/pungi.rpm.conf.j2
> and
> https://pagure.io/fedora-infra/ansible/blob/main/f/roles/bodhi2/backend/templates/pungi.module.conf.j2
> for modules.
>
> So from that it looks like epel8 is xz specifically, but the rest are
> default.

So, we're using different settings for pungi config and for
updateinfo.xml generated by Bodhi.

I don't think there's a (easy) way to have bodhi inherit configuration
from pungi config file.

I would first suggest to "fix" Bodhi metadata generation to use the same
compression setting (which is now XZ) for everything except EPEL7 and
EPEL8 (with the current conditional it's using BZ2 for EPEL9 also). Then
we can discuss about switching from XZ to ZSTD, but I think the choice
should be mirrored on pungi side.

This would be a kind of hard coded change in bodhi code. If there's a
rationale we could modify bodhi to have those parameters set in database
for each Release object, but does it worth the work?

>>> - Stop generating metadata in sqlite database format by default. It
>>> will still be possible to create them using a --database switch or via
>>> sqliterepo_c tool. (It looks like the only user left is mdapi:
>>> https://github.com/fedora-infra/mdapi/issues/97).
>> I think this haven't got impact on bodhi-server.
>>> - When adding groups.xml to repodata createrepo_c currently adds two
>>> variants to repomd.xml. The specified file as is, uncompressed, with
>>> the type "group" and also a compressed variant with type "group_XX",
>>> where XX is compression suffix. This is atypical and unexpected. We
>>> propose to include just one variant of groups.xml using specified
>>> compression and repomd.xml type "group". This is not compatible with
>>> yum in RHEL 7. If required users will still be able to create
>>> repositories with the old layout using modifyrepo_c.
>> I'm not sure if this has impact on bodhi-server. We're composing
>> repodata for EPEL7 and EPEL8 which still use yum, but I don't think
>> we're adding groups metadata?
> We are I am pretty sure. ;) This is from fedora-comps, we gather that
> and pungi does some processing on it, but then inserts it in the end as
> group data.
>
> I have a few additional questions:
>
> * How does this impact zchunk? or does it?

AFAIK, zchunck is not enabled for EPEL, so it should not have impact.

Mattia