Re: New machine - no virtual terminals

On 3/21/23 02:26 PM, stan via devel wrote:
On Tue, 21 Mar 2023 10:25:36 -0400
"Steven A. Falco" <stevenfalco@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I recently put a new machine together using an AMD Radeon PRO W6600
Graphics Card.  CPU is a threadripper pro.  Motherboard is an ASUS
Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI II sWRX8 E-ATX.  Software is the KDE spin
of Fedora 37.

It mostly works perfectly, but if I try to access a virtual terminal
with Ctrl-Alt-F3 my monitors go to sleep, so apparently the video
sync shuts off.  Typing Ctrl-Alt-F2 brings me back to my KDE session.

Also Ctrl-Alt-F1 shows me the text that occurred during boot - I have
rhgb and quiet disabled in my grub configuration.  So Ctrl-Alt-F1 and
F2 work, but F3 and above do not.

I don't see anything in /var/log/messages that would give me a hint
as to where to start with debugging this.  I've tried running SDDM in
wayland and in x11 modes, but that doesn't make a difference.

I'd like to write a bug for this, but I'm not sure how to gather
enough data for a meaningful report.  Are there some kernel options I
can try, or other ways to get more data?
> Is the number of consoles in /etc/systemd/logind.conf set to more than
2?  The default is 6, and so systemd should set up 6 virtual consoles
for use.  They usually don't actuate until visited, but they should
still be available to a Ctrl-Alt-[3-6].

This is good info - thanks!  Everything is commented out in logind.conf, so I should be getting the default of 6 virtual consoles.

I tried booting to multi-user using a 3 at the end of the boot line, as you suggested.  I had a login prompt on virtual console 1 and was able to log in.  Then I switched to virtual console 5, which was completely blank, but I carefully typed a user name and password and started a "top" running (all without being able to see what I was typing), went back to virtual console 1, did a ps, and saw that the top was running.  So the problem is that the video output is only working in the first virtual console, but the others are functional - they just don't show any text or cursor!

One other experiment that I tried: I put Fedora-KDE-Live-x86_64-38-20230320.n.0.iso on a USB drive, booted that, and saw that the virtual consoles were work perfectly.  I could switch between them, and they displayed properly.  But if I repeat that experiment with an F37 live USB drive, then I have the no-display problem.

So it looks like something has been corrected in F38 that is broken in F37.  I'm tempted to upgrade to F38, but this is my main machine, so I'm a little hesitant.  I'll see if I can load an F38 kernel; it should be easy to back that out if it doesn't help.

I boot to multiuser and start X from there, and I always get virtual
consoles.  If you do a
journalctl -r
and then a
/vcon
do you see lines like

fedora dracut[128053]: -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        20528 Mar 13 13:01 usr/lib/systemd/systemd-vconsole-setup
fedora dracut[128053]: -rw-r--r--   1 root     root          650 Mar 13 12:59 usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-vconsole-setup.service

For completeness, yes, I do see those lines.

If the setup isn't occurring it would be a systemd bug.  But check if
systemd is reporting errors when it tries to set the vconsoles up.  And
try booting into multiuser by hitting a key during boot, and putting a
3 at the end of the boot line options to see if that sets them up.

Fedora recently dropped support from the kernel for the old fbcon and
replaced it with the new simple version.  Might be related if it wasn't
taken into account.  Or KDE might have decided virtual consoles were
obsolete and dropped support for them (unlikely).

Anyway some things to try, and a confirmation that it does work.