Re: Retiring Bottles in favor of Flatpak provided by upstream

On 27-01-2023 00:15, Sandro wrote:
I'm not sure I can commit to maintaining these myself, though. Let me
know if you're interested in helping out.
Yes, orjson has been mentioned by @atim and @thunderbirdtr, the
co-maintainers, in the PR. If that becomes available there might be some
progress to be made in keeping up with upstream.

Albeit, working with upstream appears to have been a mixed bag (reading
between the lines in the comments). But since I have not been
experiencing this first hand, I'd prefer the co-maintainers to elaborate.

<snip>

I'll ponder my options a little longer and hope the co-maintainers will
shed their light on the state of affairs.

There has been some development regarding Bottles, which I would like to share.

First of all, with orjson coming closer to being included in Fedora (many thanks to @gotmax23 and @decathorpe), we decided to give it another go and try to get an up to date Bottles shipped in Fedora 38. Currently it builds in Copr[1], but I haven't found the time to test it and scrutinize the build.

I also announced our intentions upstream[2]. Upstream has responded with discouragement[3,4]. I'm still relatively new to packaging and don't have a lot of experience dealing with upstream. So, I'm asking for some input on how to react to upstream's response in a productive, collaborative manner.

I get the feeling there's a fundamental misunderstanding of the open source paradigm in upstream's arguments. I'm hoping that we can convince them by showing off an up to date and working Bottles package.

[1] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/gui1ty/bottles/builds/
[2] https://github.com/bottlesdevs/Bottles/issues/2345#issuecomment-1445064038 [3] https://github.com/bottlesdevs/Bottles/issues/2345#issuecomment-1452794525 [4] https://github.com/bottlesdevs/Bottles/issues/2345#issuecomment-1453072569

-- Sandro