Re: RFC: No koji builds during mass branching and updates-testing enablement

On Thu, Mar 9, 2023 at 3:46 PM Dennis Gilmore via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> 2. Builds launched just before updates-testing enablement can get
>> stuck in "testing" state before there is an actual updates-testing
>> repo, and are hence not available from *any* repository (for testing?)
>> during the beta freeze, but will get pushed to stable afterwards. This
>> results in users who want to test the beta release (or "pre-beta" with
>> updates-testing enabled) to not see these updates at all, but they
>> will be pushed to "stable" immediately after the beta freeze is lifted
>> (i.e. without *any* amount of testing).
>
> I do not understand how this is at all possible. If a build has the tag to be stable it will show up freeze or not. it may not be in the beta compose, but will be in the nightly composes and being tested and available there.

As far as I can tell, this is the way this has happened:

1. build is launched for "branched" *before* the beta freeze went into
effect (i.e. before the "updates-testing" repo exists for that
release)
2. build is automatically submitted to bodhi and goes through the
stages of "pending" -> "testing" -> "stable" (and the build can spend
a non-negligible amount of time in the "testing" state if there are
any gating tests)
3. the beta freeze goes into effect while the build is still in
"testing" state, but "testing" pre-beta-freeze means something
different than "testing" post-updates-testing-enablement

Fabio