Re: Packit service not submitting builds or updates for branched / F38

On 02. 03. 23 16:06, Fabio Valentini wrote:
On Thu, Mar 2, 2023 at 3:47 PM Tomas Tomecek <ttomecek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Fabio, answers inline below.

On Wed, Mar 1, 2023 at 5:50 PM Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, Mar 1, 2023 at 5:34 PM Matej Focko <mfocko@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

- linux-system-roles v1.35.1: submitted to F39, F37, F36, but not F38
- osbuild-composer v75: submitted to F39, F37, F36, but not F38
- cockpit-composer v44: submitted to F39, F37, F36, but not F38
- gpxsee v12.1: submitted to F39, F37, F36, but not F38
- osbuild v81: submitted to F37, F36, but not F39 or F38 (?)
- mrack v1.13.3: submitted to F39, F37, F36, EPEL9, EPEL8, but not F38
- osbuild-composer v76: submitted to F39, F37, F36, but not F38

Thank you for the list, once we get guidance on how to proceed (see below), we will create those missing updates.

Whatever the reason, what should be done about the missing updates?
I'll be publishing my "builds + updates missing from Fedora Branched
report" soon anyway, so the packages will show up there either way ...

We as Packit have honestly the same question: what does this freeze exactly mean? Should we continue creating bodhi updates?

CCing Ben to give us guidance.

The fact that a release is currently "frozen" should not affect
submission of updates at all.
The only difference there is how updates are pushed from "testing" to
"stable" state:
Updates will not be submitted to "stable" repos automatically after a
few days, but only after the freeze is officially lifted.

Since packager's cannot "mess this up" (it is enforced by update
infrastructure), there is no reason to not build + submit updates for
releases that are currently in a "freeze", especially if you are also
submitting the updates to stable branches of Fedora.

In other words: It depends. Same as with updates to stable releases.

I'd say that if you are creating the update in stable releases, you should also create it in frozen/branched. Not doing it creates mess.

However, whether or not an update is suitable for a stable release or for a post-Beta branched release must always be decided by the packager and never by a service.

--
Miro Hrončok