Re: Proposal: drop delta rpms (for real this time)

On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 10:15:42AM -0800, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 2023-02-23 10:05, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> > Contrary-wise: Because Fedora updates only contains the latest built,
> > once a build marked as a security fix is obsoleted by another build,
> > there is no longer any indication that a security issue existed in any
> > version, at which point "dnf update --security" no longer works.
>

> For example, https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2022-839fd408a5
> is no longer an indication of a problem in a default package:
>
> $ podman run --rm -it fedora:37
> [root@d1c2aa7da870 /]# rpm -qa vim\*
> vim-data-9.0.475-1.fc37.noarch
> vim-minimal-9.0.475-1.fc37.x86_64
> [root@d1c2aa7da870 /]# dnf update --security vim\*
> No security updates needed for "vim*", but 2 updates available
> Dependencies resolved.
> Nothing to do.
> Complete!
>
> > That might be a problem only for systems that are updated less
> > frequently than the window between a security update and a later build,
> > I still think it's a flaw that should be fixed.
>
> (And I probably shouldn't have phrased this as if it's very limited.
> Anything installed from the installation media or "fedora" repo without full
> updates would definitely have security issues that weren't reflected in the
> package set selected by "dnf update --security")

For this reason, bodhi used to mark such packages for the rest of the
release. Ie, if you mark foo-1.0-1.fc37 a security update, forever after
that foo package gets 'security' in the updateinfo. I think this was
dropped because it confused too many people and it also didn't really
express the actual problem here.

I'm not sure what a solution could be. Keep every update in updateinfo
so dnf could tell you that there's 2 updates and 1 is security and the
other bugfix? but then we would need to also keep those updates around
to update to.

kevin