Re: fedpkg: Failed to get repository name from Git url or pushurl

Otto Liljalaakso kirjoitti 21.2.2023 klo 11.45:
Kenneth Goldman kirjoitti 14.2.2023 klo 21.19:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/package-maintainers/Packaging_Tutorial_
GNU_Hello/

Working through the basic tutorial there:

fedpkg --release f37 mockbuild

fails with

Failed to get repository name from Git url or pushurl
Failed to get ns from Git url or pushurl
[repeats forever]

How does fedpkg know what to build?  Does it default to whatever .spec file
exists?
Is there another argument to fedpkg. Are there some other steps between
Rpmdev-newspec and fedpkg?

What am I missing?

Sorry for not responding earlier, I currently maintain that tutorial and have extensively rewritten it from an earlier tutorial.

The tutorial should be self contained, you should be able to complete it by just doing everything listed there.
No other arguments to fedpkg are needed.
I am not certain what is the deduction logic it uses, however.

If the problem you encountered is still reproducible, please open a new issue at [1].
If you add some more details regarding the steps you took
(like the sequence of cli commands you issued from a fresh start),
we can take a look what is happening and how to fix it.

[1]: https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/package-maintainer-docs/issues

Ok, I found the other parts of the thread now.
Something strange is going on here - it seems that when Arthur replies,
threading breaks and I see separate subthreads in Thunderbird.
Also lists.fedoraproject.org seems to be similarly confused.

Anyhow, while UTF-8 is valid in specfile %description and creating a specfile that is not UTF-8 is an error,
the tutorial is not intended to touch on such topics.
So I replaced the Unicode quotes with 7-bit ASCII ones [1].

To fix the endless loop of warnings you ran into,
I submitted a patch for rpkg (the library that powers fedpkg) [2].

The warnings themselves are quite pointless.
They are shown every time fedpkg is ran outside of Git repository,
even if everything works just fine.
I have meant to do something about them for some time already,
this case finally motivated me to submit a patch [3].

[1]: https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/package-maintainer-docs/c/7fa522266bc90f15ee124376f409b897ddfca142?branch=main
[2]: https://pagure.io/rpkg/pull-request/658
[3]: https://pagure.io/rpkg/pull-request/660