Re: Rust packaging tools "next generation" ready for testing

On Sat, Feb 11, 2023 at 2:40 AM Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello fellow Rustaceans and / or frustrated Rust packagers,
>
> My work on the "next generation" of Rust packaging tools has finally
> progressed to the point where it can be tested by actual people. :)

After a few more days of code cleanups, bug fixes, more testing, and
even more regression fixes ... I think everything is ready now.
cargo2rpm v0.1.1, rust-packaging v24, and rust2rpm v24.0.1 will be
available in rawhide later today.

I have done extensive testing of the new RPM macro and generator
implementations in COPR, and have verified that rust2rpm v24 produces
spec files that are either equivalent to those from earlier versions,
or actually produce working spec files for projects where earlier
versions crashed or produced broken spec files. I really hope that
this update will not be disruptive, even though almost all of the code
involved was either refactored or rewritten entirely.

I will monitor koschei for any breakages for a while before I push
these updates to stable branches as well (i.e. at least a few days for
f38, and even longer for f37 and f36).

But why push a big update like that to non-rawhide branches at all,
you might ask?
First, all these components are either only used at build-time, or are
tools which are exclusively used by Rust packagers, so the update
should not affect any users of Fedora. Second, without these updates,
some Rust libraries will not be update-able in stable branches at all
(this might also include security fixes), which is a situation that I
would like to avoid.

If you spot any regressions that are caused by this update, please
either ping me on IRC / Matrix (the low-traffic "Fedora Rust" room is
a good choice), or file a ticket on bugzilla or with the upstream
project on pagure:

- cargo2rpm (RPM macro backend / low-level Python module):
https://pagure.io/fedora-rust/cargo2rpm
- rust-packaging (RPM macros and generators):
https://pagure.io/fedora-rust/rust-packaging
- rust2rpm (RPM spec file generator): https://pagure.io/fedora-rust/rust2rpm

Fabio