Re: fedrq - new repoquerying tool

On Sun Feb 12, 2023 at 08:12 +0000, Mattia Verga via devel wrote:
> Il 12/02/23 06:31, Maxwell G via devel ha scritto:
> > For reverse dependency rebuilds, you probably want the following
> > command:
> >
> > ```
> > $ fedrq whatrequires -X -F source $(fedrq subpkgs SRCNAME) # equivalent
> > $ fedrq subpkgs SRCNAME | fedrq whatrequires -X -i -F source # equivalent
> > ```
> >
> > This accounts for any package that depends on any subpackage/binary RPM
> > produced by SRCNAME at buildtime and/or runtime, and spits out the names
> > of the source packages that need to be rebuilt. For simple packages that
> > output only one RPM, `fedrq whatrequires -F source PKGNAME` is
> > sufficient.
> >
> Thanks for this! I never found a (easy) way to make dnf output the exact
> reverse dependency of libindi, for example, and your tool does that well
> with an easy to understand output:
>
> $ fedrq whatrequires -F source $(fedrq subpkgs libindi)
> indi-3rdparty-drivers
> indi-3rdparty-libraries
> kstars
> libindi
> phd2
> stellarium
>
> Though, it would be nice to have an easier subcommand or option just for
> that, as it will be, I think, the most required use case. Maybe a 'fedrq
> whatrequires --soname-bump SRCNAME'?

Thanks for trying it out and for the feedback! I don't want to tack this
on to `whatrequires`, but a separate subcommand might be warranted. Name
suggestions are welcome. subpkgs-whatrequires is accurate but way too
long :). I created an issue for this in fedrq's issue tracker [1].

[1] https://todo.sr.ht/~gotmax23/fedrq/13

--
Maxwell G (@gotmax23)
Pronouns: He/They