Re: /etc/sysconfig/harddisks deprecated?

On 08/16/2005 02:20 AM, David Zeuthen wrote:
On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 15:45 -0500, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:

I normally tune my hard drives using /etc/sysconfig/harddisks, back when
using FC2, and after a few months of not running Fedora it was quite
surprising to me to find the settings not applied (my laptop boots Linux
with DMA enabled but IO support set to 16-bits, so the slow-down is
noticeable).

rpm -q --changelog initscripts | grep hdparm shows that Bill Nottingham
removed this in December 2004, so the questions are:

1. Shouldn't hdparm not include /e/s/harddisks anymore?
2. What is the current recommended method to tune hard drives?

The current plan that we (the Red Hat desktop team) for FC5 involves
putting gnome-power-manager in the distribution which includes
automating all of this. Simply put, we just want two settings and flip
between these for the laptop use case, e.g. when transitioning from
running on AC power to running on battery / UPS. This probably involves
things like setting harddisk spindown time and not much beyond that. We
probably also want to enable/disable laptop-mode stuff during the
transitions, but that is another thing.

What about those who do not use Gnome? Or even KDE for that matter (say they use IceWM instead)? Will it work for them?

[This is not fire up another flamewar... No flamewars, please.]

Regards,
Dariusz

___________________________________________________________ How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Yahoo! Photos http://uk.photos.yahoo.com