Re: Will dnf5 be ready by F39?

On 2023-02-02 08:16, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
Dne 02. 02. 23 v 5:41 Gordon Messmer napsal(a):
Right now, I don't see any documentation for plugins, the general API docs are (subjectively) terse, and the DNF5 git repo has a banner with warning signs that says "The API/ABI is currently unstable."  (...which seems very odd, since 5.0.1 was released in November, so one would expect that the API has been stable since at least that time.)

Right. When Change is proposed it does not need to be done or close to be finished. It is fine.

When the owners submit it, then they indicate that they think it is doable. Fesco agreed that it is doable.

Naturally, we want everyone to communicate and organize work in the future.  I would never object to that.

My question is whether the proposal accurately describes what will be delivered.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  As I read it, the change proposal only states that "dnf-3", "yum", and "microdnf", the command-line package management tools, will be replaced with "dnf5".  All of the other applications that use libdnf either directly on indirectly (e.g. through PackageKit) will remain in place and continue to be used.

However, the "Benefit to Fedora" section of the proposal strongly implies a different outcome, especially because it promises, "Unified behavior of in the software management stack - Same user experience in workstation, server, containers."  If dnf5 is only replacing the command line tool, then the "Benefit to Fedora" and "Major codebase improvements" apply primarily to Fedora containers and servers, while Workstation, Silverblue, and others will actually see larger and more complex installations, and not the smaller, faster, simpler installations that the document promises.

And that also means that the "Problems related to using DNF5 and DNF in parallel for software modification" section applies to Workstation and others; any semblance of integration between the graphical package management stack and "dnf" is lost until sometime in the future when libdnf users are ported.  Current state synchronization, transaction history, dependency removal and modules all break if users use any tool other than the "dnf" command line tool.  The proposal says so, but I think it understates the number of users who are going to be impacted by that.