Re: libgit2 1.5.x in rawhide with compat packages for 1.3.x and 1.4.x

On Fri, Feb 3, 2023 at 5:05 PM Pete Walter <walter.pete@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Today, we have 3 versions in rawhide (libgit2 was updated from 1.3.x to 1.4.x and then 1.5.x over the last month and the compat packages were added today):
>
> libgit2 package with version 1.5.1 (security supported still from upstream)
> libgit2_1.4 package with version 1.4.5 (security supported still from upstream)
> libgit2_1.3 package with version 1.3.2 (EOL upstream)

Thank you for working on this!

It would be great if libgit2 updates and compat packages could be
pushed to stable branches as well. It would allow me to un-vendor
libgit2 from the libgit2 Rust bindings, which suffer from the same
problems as most other libgit2 consumers (either libgit2 in Fedora is
too new, or too old), and the bindings are only ever compatible with
one 1.x branch at a time due to subtle API and / or ABI changes ...
(honestly I was kind of hoping that the 1.0.0 release of libgit2 would
mark an era with more stability, but apparently the upstream project
just released 1.0.0 and kept on breaking things with minor releases
for fun).

We would probably need to adapt consumers of libgit2 to specify which
1.x of libgit2 they want to build against before this can be pushed to
stable branches though - otherwise many will just pull in the most
recent one and start to fail to build (which wouldn't be good in
stable branches).

Fabio