Re: Improving Fedora boot time when libvirt is installed

On Fr, 20.01.23 14:04, Colin Walters (walters@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2023, at 11:53 AM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> > On 2023-01-19 00:55, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >>
> >> What you could do is split up the problem: have iscsi-starter.service
> >> or so, that is separate from the iscsi.service main service. The
> >> former's job would be to scan if iscsi volumes are configured. If it
> >> finds configured ones, it would then issue "systemctl start --no-block
> >> iscsi.service" to enqueue a start job for the real thing.
> >

> > Something like that was suggested last year, and Colin Walters objected,
> > for what that's worth.
> >
> > If the PR to allow installing only the "core" storage drivers is
> > rejected, then I'll work on a PR to implement this change instead.
>
> Heh well, I'm obviously going to defer to Lennart if he has an
> opinion on how you should do something with systemd.

Just to say this clearly: I am actually with Colin on this too:
needlessly adding in dynamic transactions during boot is not a great
approach generally, since it reduces what we can parallelize, and
makes behaviour less predictable and efficeint. Thus, people should
not use what I proposed as a model for anything. It's a passable
solution to an immediate problem, not more.

So, what should the actual model to follow be in my opinion? Well,
iscsid should just arrive in 2023 and watch rtnetlink on its own, and
not rely on any "wait-online" services to delay boot processes. It
should start early, not delay anything and make iscsi block devices
pop up locally the instant connectivity allows it. And it should
watch connectivity on its own, and retry contacting its severs
whenever a new local network interface pops up and gets
configured. And vice versa: if connectivity is lost (and policy
dictates) remove block devices again. Or in other words, its 2022, and
hotplug hardware is a thing, since 25 years now. iscsi devices should
really feel like any other hotplugged hw, and be robust to network
configuration changes.

In such a model, iscsid would be a daemon you could start at any time
in the boot process, and it would just work and make the devices it is
configured for popup the moment that's possible, without any external
scheduling and very very robustly.

I am aware though that storage folks are not typically on the
forefront of how device management is supposed to work these days (we
still have some storage stuff pulling in systemd-udev-settle.service,
don't we?), so I have no illusion that iscsi maintainers would even
accept existance of rtnetlink as a thing. Maybe 25y from now, we'll
see movement on that.

> It wouldn't even be the first thing calling `systemctl start` in the
> boot process...sadly there's NetworkManager dispatcher scripts that
> *also* `try-restart iscsid` =/

That's much worse actually, and just another artifact of the fact that
iscsid is too dumb to just watch the network state on its own, the one
major thing it really depends on.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin