Re: F38 proposal: X Server Prohibits Byte-swapped Clients (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Fri, Jan 06, 2023 at 11:13:14AM +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 05, 2023 at 08:24:21AM -0500, Stephen Smoogen wrote:

> > > we had
> > > systems are

> > > little
> > > all the
> > > graphically.
> > > platform.

> > > xorg.conf.d
> > > s390x
> > > need to
> > > workstation?).

> > > Reasonable.  The runtime configuration change I can make locally to allow
> > > me
> > > to run X programs on an s390x and display them locally is sufficient for
> > > me.
> > >

> > Wasn't there a concern that you can do this if you are running a desktop
> > with X, but if you are using Xwayland it isn't easy (or maybe possible) as
> > the configuration to do that was either hardcoded or not fully documented
> > on how to do that?
> >
> > From Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer@xxxxxxxxx> earlier:
> > ```
> >  but you don't necessarily have
> > access to how Xwayland is started (mutter certainly is hard-coded).
> > ```
>
> Correct, the Wayland compositor is responsible for starting up XWayland
> and that's not always configurable. I've filed bugs for mutter, kwin and
> wlroots so the developers are aware and that should cover the majority
> of Wayland use-cases once fixed.

just a minor follow-up: mutter has that feature merged now for GNOME 43
[1] so a once-off gsettings call should do the trick there:

$ gsettings set org.gnome.mutter.wayland xwayland-allow-byte-swapped-clients true

Cheers,
  Peter

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/merge_requests/2785