Re: Improving Fedora boot time when libvirt is installed

On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 8:20 PM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 18 2023 at 10:19:24 AM -0800, Gordon Messmer
> <gordon.messmer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Several people suggested using a weak dependency (Suggests:) on the
> > iscsi driver, but I don't think that would solve the problem for most
> > users because weak dependencies are installed by default and nothing
> > really communicates to users that unless they add an obscure option,
> > their boot times will increase.
>
> No, Suggests basically does nothing. See this table here:
>
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/WeakDependencies/
>
> Recommends and Supplements are real dependencies that are installed
> automatically but which you can opt out of. Suggests and Enhances are
> just kinda there, and will not be installed automatically. Not sure if
> they are really useful.

Suggests are useful for the case where multiple packages (let's say
packages A and B) provide "foo", a package C depends on something that
provides "foo" (i.e. works with both A and B), but C prefers A over B
if neither of them are installed yet. Then package C can add
"Suggests: B" to make dependency resolution preferentially resolve
"Requires: foo" to B. Otherwise, dependency resolution apparently
prefers packages that sort lower alphabetically (so A instead of B, in
this simplified example).

Fabio