Re: F38 proposal: IoT Simplified Installer (Self-Contained Change proposal)

Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/IoTSimplifiedInstaller
>
> This document represents a proposed Change. As part of the Changes
> process, proposals are publicly announced in order to receive
> community feedback. This proposal will only be implemented if approved
> by the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee.
>

> == Summary ==
> Offer Fedora IoT users a new method to create and deploy customized
> Fedora IoT disk images using a new installer called Simplified
> Installer.
>
> == Owner ==
> * Name: [[User:runcom| Antonio Murdaca]], [[User:pwhalen| Paul Whalen]]
> * Email: amurdaca@xxxxxxxxxx, pwhalen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> == Detailed Description ==
> The Fedora IoT Simplified Installer will use coreos-installer to write
> an OStree raw image straight to a disk specified in a kernel argument,
> without the need for a kickstart or user interaction. This type of
> installation is ideal for devices connected at the edge where
> connectivity can be slow or intermittent. It offers the ability to
> configure the system via osbuild itself, FDO and Ignition.
>
> == Feedback ==
>

> == Benefit to Fedora ==
> The addition of the Fedora IoT Simplified Installer will benefit IoT
> users by allowing them to create customized disk images for use on
> their edge devices. This feature is already available downstream,
> adding it to Fedora will once again bring Fedora back to the true
> upstream of RHEL for edge and allows testing and adoption of new
> functionality like FIDO Device Onboarding.
>
> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners:
> ** Test building Fedora IoT Simplified Installer with `osbuild-composer`
> ** Update Fedora IoT documentation with usage instructions.
>
> * Other developers:
>
> * Release engineering:
> * Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
>
> * Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
> * Alignment with Objectives:
>

> == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
> * Not applicable to this change.
>
> == How To Test ==
> Testable by installing `osbuild-composer` in Fedora 38 and using the
> command line tool or the Cockpit web interface to create a Fedora IoT
> Simplified Installer iso to deploy a UEFI enabled edge device.
>

> == User Experience ==
> This change will greatly enhance the Fedora IoT user experience by
> allowing users to utilize `osbuild-composer` and blueprints to create
> customized Fedora IoT deployments and leverage new features like FIDO
> Device Onboarding for secure zero touch device onboarding of edge
> devices as well as Ignition to configure the device once it starts.

Will it still be possible to use something simple like zezere /
provision.fedoraproject.org to deploy your ssh keys? I find that to be
one of the major advantage of Fedora IoT over all the other images for
the Raspberry Pi out there, as I can easily get the IP of my newly
setup device and push my ssh keys from FAS there without ever having to
bother with ignition.

Cheers,

Dan