Re: F38 proposal: Shorter Shutdown Timer (System-Wide Change proposal)

> Am 16.01.2023 um 13:23 schrieb Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> Just to say this cleary btw: when we introduced the time-out initially
> we were coming from sysvinit where no such time-out existed at
> all. Hence we picked a conservative (i.e. overly long) value to not
> upset things too badly. And yes, some people were very much upset we
> now defaulted to a time-out.
>
> If we'd start from scratch without sysvinit heritage, I think we
> would have started with something much much lower right-away.

When introducing a timeout, you obviously had the grace to choose a fairly conservative  (i.e. cautious) default value that did not lead to major problems. Would be interesting what would have been if you had started with 15 sec.

> It
> appears to me fedora is considering switch to that now, and I
> certainly think that would make a lot of sense.

The way it is proposed it doesn’t make a lot of sense. Desktops and servers work very differently and have different requirements. For servers, this proposal in its present form makes no sense at all, and is on the contrary dangerous.

One indispensable amendment is that nothing changes for servers.

> Anyway, if fedora now wants to lower the default setup, then I
> certainly sympathize. I think a policy of "aggressive time-out by
> default, individual opt-outs per-service" is a better policy for a
> stable OS than the current "conservative time-out by default,
> individual opt-in per-service for something more aggressive".
>
> So yes, lowering the time-outs by default would make sense to me, but
> of course, people will be upset...

A strangely ignorant attitude to take a positive view of the change, even if those affected, the customers, are upset and fear considerable disadvantages. Only someone who is not responsible for TBs of data and thousands of users can talk like this. The least you have to do is test and check what effects it has and prove that the concern is unjustified.

--
Peter Boy
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pboy

Timezone: CET (UTC+1) / CEST (UTC+2)

Fedora Server Edition Working Group member
Fedora docs team contributor and board member
Java developer and enthusiast