Re: GCC 13 broke 50 packages requiring libgnat-12.so() and libgnarl-12.so()

On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 03:24:16PM +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
> Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 01:24:45PM +0100, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> > > Hello. GCC was updated to 13 in rawhide while the Fedora change was still
> > > being voted about by FESCo.
> > >
> > > Apparently, the following packages now don't install:
> >
> > There is a mass rebuild tomorrow.  The Ada soname changes every year
> > and we've never rebuilt Ada packages separately for that, just during the
> > mass rebuild.
>
> Pavel and I have always rebuilt the Ada packages separately for the
> yearly soname change. They must be rebuilt in dependency order, and
> that's not how the mass rebuild does it.

Thanks.

> I'd be willing to cooperate to do the rebuild in a side tag, but I
> can't promise to always be available at a moment's notice.

I've been using a side-tag for gcc 13 for a couple of weeks so that annobin
and libtool can be rebuilt against gcc 13.
For trying to rebuild other packages, the problem is to find the right time,
if it is done too early (weeks before it is actually merged into rawhide),
it will make the Ada (or whatever else needs to be rebuilt) packages
buildable either in the side-tag or in rawhide but pain if needed in both,
and if it is too short before the tagging then there won't be enough time to
rebuild those.
E.g. even the annobin and libtool in the side-tag I had to rebuild again
because it was bumped several times in rawhide in between.
It is already pain now to find the right time for this (based on what
critical bugs are already fixed and what is the general state of the
compiler snapshot at that point, plus when is the scheduled mass rebuild
time) and having to do the decision several days or more before it can be
done would be even more painful.

	Jakub