Re: F38 proposal: Shorter Shutdown Timer (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 5:36 PM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Instead, the idea is to attack the problem from the other end: reduce
> the timeout for everyone. Once this happens, we should start getting
> feedback about what services where this doesn't work.

Sound's terrible to me.
Could we achieve this without knowingly breaking users' machine's
shutdowns? Or annoying user base in general ?
I can imagine a new standalone package, that only changes the timeout,
and only people willing to test the short shutdowns would participate
and install it?

--

If somehow we end up with the terrible approach of "change crucial
system-wide config and see what happens", could we at least do it step

--

The different configuration for different Fedora editions doesn't
sound right to me.

Hunting for well-known trouble-making services (regarding shutdown
times) is a much cleaner approach.

--

Is there any existing piece of software that can analyze the shutdowns
and report the mean times and messages of each service / component ?

And I personally believe that strictly opt-in telemetry is a good way
to gather user (telemetric) data.

--

Michal Schorm
Software Engineer