Re: Porting Fedora for the LoongArch architecture.

在 2023/1/10 23:54, Neal Gompa 写道:
On Tue, Jan 10, 2023 at 10:13 AM 孙海勇 <sunhaiyong@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am Sun Haiyong, from China. I want to port Fedora for the LoongArch
architecture.
LoongArch is a RISC ISA released by Loongson Technology Corporation Limited,
and has supported a series of (Binutils, GCC, Linux, Glibc, LLVM, QEMU,
etc.)
core open source projects.

Currently, there are many linux distributions that can run on LoongArch
machines,
they are OpenEuler, OpenAnolis, UOS, Kylin.

I am good at cross-compiling operating systems and often build Linux systems
using something like LFS or CLFS.

I have built Linux distributions using rpm package management from scratch
several times since 2015 (some systems are not publicly available):

1 Fedora 21, 28, 32 based on MIPS64EL architecture;
2 CentOS 7 based on MIPS64EL architecture;
3 CentOS 7 based on Power8 architecture;
4 CentOS 8.3 based on LoongArch architecture;
5 OpenEuler 2109 based on LoongArch architecture.

And I have published a book on porting Fedora systems to new architectures.

I want to add LoongArch to the official Fedora support architecture, and
I've
been doing so for some time, here's some of what I've done so far:

To verify the feasibility of building a LoongArch architecture branch for
Fedora, I have used the software version from the rawhide git repository,
and have now compiled a large number of base packages and built a temporary
repository that can be accessed at https://mirrors.wsyu.edu.cn/fedora/

I have compiled and generated more than 45,000 installable rpm files (of
course there are a lot of perl, Python, rust and texlive files), and the
number is still expanding, the scope of the package is enough to build a
LiveCD system, for which I have built LXDE, MATE, WorkStation ( Gnome3) of
the LiveCD and the installation of the ISO, you can get in the following
address: https://github.com/fedora-remix-loongarch/releases-info

Of course, there are still a lot of problems with LoongArch's Fedora system,
for example, some software is not yet fully supported by the upstream
community, but I believe the power of the community can gradually improve
them, so I am sending out an email here to get more people to support this
new LoongArch architecture.

I have recruited some developers who are interested in this and they are:

Wu Xiaotian
Chen Huacai
Shi Pujin
Si Yanteng
Chen Feiyang

Of course, there are many other users who are interested in Fedora systems.

I'm currently a newbie in the Fedora community, so I need help from
community
developers, and would like someone to guide me on what to do next, such as
what would be a better time to submit necessary patches to packages in the
Fedora repository, how to develop in a collaborative manner, what other
systems to be used for management, etc. In short, any information would be
useful. Could I get help here? :)

Again, thanks for reading this email.

I think a starting point is to talk to Fedora Infrastructure and
Release Engineering about this.

Also, is there any server-class hardware that can be racked for us to
power builds? We don't typically do emulated builds because they're
incredibly slow.

That said, Fedora RISC-V is probably a good blueprint for how to get
started bootstrapping LoongArch in Fedora. Those folks are here on
this list and they can reply with some details (I don't remember
exactly how they did it).

Thanks! We have completed the bootstrap steps, and we want to learn more about how to further interface with Fedora's build system.

Regards,

Haiyong