Re: Schedule for Tuesday's FESCo Meeting (2023-01-03)

On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 8:30 AM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 03/01/2023 18:42, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> >    * AGREED: APPROVED (+6,1,-1) This Change is implemented for Fedora
> >      Linux 38 and we evaluate whether to retain it by Fedora Linux 40.
> >      This Change must be implemented in a manner which packages are able
> >      to trivially opt-out of retaining frame pointers during compilation
> >      so that packages that take larger performance hits can easily
> >      revert.  (mhroncok, 17:20:38)
>
> Already rejected proposal was submitted because big corporations weren't
> happy with the results. This is a VERY BAD precedent for Fedora.

Actually, the Change owners were prepared to give up. I was the one
that pushed for it to be reconsidered because of how much benefit it
gives to desktop Linux developers. The Change owners were prepared to
do the work and assist anywhere to restore/improve performance. The
GNOME and KDE developers both have tooling that benefits from this
Change, and I wanted profiling and introspection capabilities for the
desktop (just like other OSes have). When the Change proposal came in
for FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 (which introduces similar pressure), the
resulting discussion prompted the re-vote.

Most of the users of this feature will be community volunteer
developers that need every advantage they can get.