Re: F38 proposal: X Server Prohibits Byte-swapped Clients (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Thu, Dec 22, 2022 at 11:30:33AM +0100, Niklas Schnelle wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This might not be as niche as you might think. I'm one of the
> Linux kernel maintainers for s390. Many of us do the vast majority of
> their development work natively on s390 systems via SSH from Fedora
> laptops. After all mainframes are pretty damn fast at compiling with
> plenty of memory and dog fooding is part of quality control. And I'm
> sure it's not just the teams working on the Linux kernel but also
> plenty of other people working with s390 Linux machines. These s390
> machines mostly only host X servers via VNC and usually just for the
> installation but they do that too. There is also a hand full of X
> clients I run on s390 which are essential for my and many of my
> colleagues daily workflows. The most important one is defintely
> xsel/xclip to copy from the (neo-)vim/tmux I use for coding to my local
> system. Some people also use x3270 via SSH X forwarding from jumphosts,
> others use XEmacs. I also know essential internal tools that are run on
> s390 hosts via X forwarding. Sure people using X forwarding are capable
> of changing configuration defaults but if at all possible I would
> suggest to rethink this, as it will create significant hassle for
> anyone using their Fedora systems to SSH + X forward to s390 Linux
> hosts and it definitely sees more use and thus testing than the
> proposal makes it sound.

One main question here is: how many of you use Wayland already? Right
now the biggest issue with this change is IMO the inability to configure
this for Wayland compositors until they add the respective option. Xorg
is easy to fix with an xorg.conf snippet, but you don't necessarily have
access to how Xwayland is started (mutter certainly is hard-coded).

Cheers,
  Peter